Thursday, September 3, 2009

Submitting in The Real World

Living a submissive lifestyle while existing in the real world cab be difficult. A lot of the things you do at home do not seem appropriate in a public setting. But, there are ways to live in the real world while maintaining your submission, it just takes some thought and comprimise.
Very few people outside of the lifestyle (especially my family) know that i live as a submissive, or that we live an alternative lifestyle. This information would be very difficult for my Mother to deal with, or understand. So, when we are with our families or any other vanilla (not lifestyle) group my Dom has given me permission to use His proper name instead of Sir or Daddy (we do a lot of age play). There are times when i still call Him Sir, even in Vanilla settings, it is that ingrained in my mind. Since we live in the south, it is usually not looked on too strangely, but the time i did it in front of my Mother, she looked at me like i was crazy.
My Dom does not let me open doors for myself when we go out. Again we live in the South, so it is not unusual to see a man opening a door for a lady. Some Doms may want their subs to open the door for them, but no matter who opens the door for whom, it really shouldn't raise too many eyebrows, often in the real world it is just whoever reaches the door first.
When we go out to a restaurant, my Dom generally orders for me, after deciding what i will have. This occassionally puzzles the waiter or waitress, but they usually take it in stride. If we are with our families, however, or anyone else who would find this odd, i will order for myself. i also do not take a bite of food or a sip of drink until He has. This has never been an issue, because most people don't even notice it.
When i am out alone, my Dom expects me to act as i would if He were with me. This means act like a lady, no swearing, and when i make decisions make the decision He would approve of. He often tells me that i have to be able to function in the real world without Him by my side, but with the rules He has provided. He does not want a sub he has to tell to breathe.
He allows me to alter my choice of clothing based on the situation. Normally i am required to go without a bra or panties, but if i am going to church or some other formal function He does allow me to wear these items.
While my Dom has been known to swat me on the behind in public, He is not obvious about it, and we refrain from that type of contact if we are somewhere where children are present or  where it would be otherwise inappropriate if it were witnessed.
Basically, being lifestyle in the real world just calls for common sense. Many things you do won't be noticed by most people if you don't draw attention to them. For things that are a little less mainstream, you just need to decide how to behave based on where you are. He would never swat me in church, at a formal affair, or anywhere that there are kids present; if we are somewhere else, He may swat me, but it will not be obvious. He will not bend me over or whip out a paddle. It will just be a quick swat that many people won't even see. So that is the key, don't draw undue attention to your actions and in most cases, you will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment